11 October 2013

Fruit in Rum aka Christmas Present or the Good Old German Rumtopf

A few years ago I started to make homemade little Christmas happies for my relatives.
Little happies that´s what my sweet mother in law calls little presents :-).

I started this tradition because I have a huge family and as a poor student at university I couldn´t afford to really buy them stuff. My aunts seem to like the homemade presents better anyway.
Over the last couple of years I made homemade jams, liquors, soaps, chocolate on a stick, I knitted scarfs and beanies,  I did cookies in a jar, and so on. The tricky thing is to come up with new presents every year.

This year I´m gonna fix Fruit in Rum aka the good old German Rumtopf. Tastes great with ice cream, cake or any kind of desert.


Here´s my recipe.

You need for 3 liter:

3 x 1 Liter mason jar or other preserving container
6 organic oranges
6 peaches
3 pairs
1.5 cup of strong black tea
3 cups sugar
1.5 Liter of Rum
Spices (mark of 1 vanilla bean, 3 cinnamon sticks, 3 cardamom pods, 3 star anise)


Zest one orange and heat the zests up with sugar, black tea, the spices and 2 cups of  Rum, let it simmer for 30 Minutes. Let cool off.
In the meantime peel the oranges, so nothing of the white is left. Cut out the segments w/o any of the membranes or skin, here is a great tutorial. Cut the peaches and pairs in slices and fill each glass with one sliced pair, the "sections" of two oranges and two sliced peaches.


Once the prepared liquid has cooled off add the remaining Rum. Pour the mixture in the glasses till all the fruits are covered. I put one cinnamon stick and one star anise on top.


Let the Rumtopf sit for at least 6 weeks. Done!

I will fill the fruit and liquid in smaller 0.3 Liter mason jars and add a nice tag for Christmas.
I´ll keep you updated...









No comments :

Post a Comment